Wednesday, November 6, 2013

ABOUT TIME

  • Starring Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy
  • Directed by Richard Curtis
    I know how this sounds, but I went into this film knowing I was going to have a profound experience. My other favorite Richard Curtis film, LOVE, ACTUALLY, is a film that comprehends the human experience and all its frustrations. More on that later.
    Domhnall Gleeson (Bill Weasley in the HARRY POTTER films) is Tim, an oddly normal (or normally odd) man who learns he can travel back in time. This piece of information is provided by his father (a superb Bill Nighy), who tells us that this ability has been passed down to all the men in this family. As with any film that features time-travel, there are rules (which I won't spoil here, due to the simple fact that Nighy does it way better than I ever can). The film never feels like a work of science fiction, however, because it is truly a story about how a boy met a girl(Rachel McAdams), perhaps more than once.
    Gleeson oozes nothing but manic charm as Tim; yet, at the same time, there is a cool calm about him as well. It's no wonder Mary (McAdams) falls in love with him. McAdams is fantastic as always, having a great chemistry with her co-star. And, while the supporting cast is great, particularly Tom Hollander as a frustrated, pessimistic playwright, it is Nighy who steals the show. You cannot fathom how much I love Bill Nighy, which leaves me slightly biased here; but, seriously, he is fantastic and all his scenes with Gleeson will bring a smile to your face and perhaps a tear to your eye.
    Earlier, I mentioned LOVE, ACTUALLY, which (to me) has one of my favorite endings to any movie ever. In case you've never seen it (which, if you haven't, means you need to go rent it AQAP), it ends at Heathrow Airport, showing regular people arriving to their destination (I promise it's way better than I'm describing it). ABOUT TIME, to me, is just like the ending of LOVE, ACTUALLY: damn near perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment